10.29.2008

Pinch Me

So, I promised myself that I wouldn't write anything in this blog until I recapped my weekend in Vegas at LDI.


Then I got an email.


From a very well noted Grad school professor, a professor from ONE of the two grad schools I was planning on applying to this year. (i just had a moment of 'oh my god, I just got here. What am I doing applying for grad school already?') Amazing, I know!


The story goes: I had worked with one of his collueges this summer and (like a good observant student and social networker I am) talked to him as often as I could about nothing... everything... the show, the city, public transportation, New York, etc. Having established some sort of connection (although it be holding on by a thread) I procceeded to send him an email at the end of the summer mentioning that I had seen he was a professor at Dream School and I was interested in any insider information he had. He replied (I think later that night) and said he would forward the email on to the Admissions Advisor and the Lighting Design faculty. Good.
Heard from Admissions right away, mostly just fill out this form and look at this website. Exciting. I had kind of given up hope about the Lighting Designer until..

he replied yesterday, the DAY I started my application for Dream School.

Basically saying that he was sorry for taking so long to get back to me. Dream School only admits 2 lighting students a year and then they assist him anywhere he is working (which could be as far away as Italy, depending). Then he says, feel free to call me anytime on my cell phone and please email me back to set up a time for a tour and to met the rest of the faculty. Amazing.

I suggested earlier was better for me so in his next email he replied with the suggestion of breakfast on November 6th.


It all comes down to not what you know but who.

HU? Exactly.