11.16.2008

Play nice

Sometimes it's hard to play nice in a field of work you care so deeply about.


Our department has a "Town Hall" meeting once a quarter. It's a time to get all those discussions you hear in the hallways in between classes out to the faculty and staff. I have been very passionate about almost every subject brought up in these meetings so it's hard for me to, um sensor, myself in what I say and to whom.

I just got a two page letter from another theatre arts student who thought the things I said were offensive. I never meant to hurt his feelings but I don't regret what I said either.

So I don't know how to respond to this. I feel like I should write a letter back and explain what I said and how I had no idea that it would offend him in this way but at the same time I want to say "eff him" (He said some nasty things towards the end).

So in a normal situation I would go to my advisor/mentor. But he's the department chair and the department and will give me a 'chair of the department answer'.


I just want to know what to say.

2 comments:

Betsy said...

Sorry I gave you a family legacy of speaking your mind!

Keep in mind the letter is probably more about him than about you anyway. Maybe he wrote it to vent but doesn't want to face you because he knows what you said is true.

I would leave it alone, read it again in few days, then if you still are ticked, ask to talk to him privately about the letter. Bring the letter with you ( if he agrees to this) and go over the things together.

Hope it goes well, however it turns out.

Kelly said...

I brought the letter to my department head and he's keeping a copy for records in case it goes any further but other than that I'm leaving it alone.